Sunday, April 1, 2012

Watch from Hamilton: Things I Have

I have been thinking for a while now that I need a new watch. The past few months I've been wearing a trusty Timex with a yellow band. Eye catching and simple, but lacking a certain sophistication.


I'd thought a few times about the vintage Rolex offerings on Park & Bond, and had asked a few friends about sourcing one directly from eBay.


Then this week GQ put out a list of must-have accessories -- bag, tie clip, glasses, watch. For a timepiece they suggested a Hamilton watch, a brand I admittedly was not familiar with. But perusing their website I really liked the Thin-O-Matic with a 60's design influence, a brown croc band, and a hefty 42 mm face.


I reached out to my friend (and watch aficionado) Jeff, who gave me a rundown on Hamilton's history (started in the U.S. 120 years ago, now owned and made in Switzerland). 




With Jeff's endorsement I found the Thin-O-Matic from an online vendor, and had it in my hands (and on my wrist) the very next day. 


I'm thrilled with having a proper watch and can't wait to wear in and soften the band, and get some good mileage out of it! 

No comments: