Friday, September 14, 2012

Michael Bastian Spring 2013: NYFW Review

I still remember the first Michael Bastian show I attended, in a cool warehouse building. He ran the show multiple times, so you could arrive at any time and see it. Well, times sure have changed!

Bastian's show is now one of the most anticipated on the NYFW men's circuit, and his move from Exit Art to Milk this season has amped it up even more. And as expected, Spring 2013 did not disappoint. Partially inspired by being poolside in Fire Island, there was a definite ease and flow, which was seamlessly integrated into the suiting and knitwear. 

The first thing I noticed in the collection was the use of cross-body kimono style tops. I liked how they felt more loose and casual, but fit right into the Bastian aesthetic.


 Double-breasted knitwear. That's all I needed to see and knew I'd want it.


Continuing with the double-breasted, this single button jacket really stood out. It continued the relaxed feel of the collection and I could imagine pulling on this beautiful piece with a pair of shorts and having lunch beach side.




There were also some really interesting knits in the mix for Spring -- while the giraffe spotted shoulders got a lot of attention, I really liked this one with the soft mix of color and the jagged lines.


The final look was this fantastic evening jacket with a slim black shawl collar. Worn by Noah Mills, with giraffe print Stubbs & Wooten slippers, it was not what I'd wear to dinner on Fire Island, but definitely got me in the mood for summer soirees.
 

Overall another very strong showing from Michael Bastian -- a collection that was consistent and very on-brand, while stretching and expanding so as to remain fresh and new. Can't wait to see it in stores come Spring and have that single button DB high on my want list! 

Check out the rest of the collection at GQ...

No comments: